2015 begins our 25th Anniversary, honoring a program that proves to enrich the learning and network of Middle Tennessee executives.
In 1990, a group known as the Peer Learning Network was created as a result of a partnership between Clayton McWhorter, then Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of HealthTrust, Inc., and Belmont University. Through HealthTrust, Mr. McWhorter responded with a grant to initiate the Peer Learning Network. This program encourages learning among leaders in Nashville’s business community through shared experiences and resources.
From the original eight members to the thirty corporate memberships today, the Peer Learning Network is a thriving network of over 250 business executives with the purpose of bringing together senior leaders of Nashville’s best-run companies in a setting where they can learn from each other.
The Center for Executive Education at Belmont University is designated as the ‘coming together’ place where leaders of companies doing business in a variety of fields can share problems and solutions (best practices) with their peers, and learn from world class speakers, creating a strong network within Nashville’s business community.
Based on the successful experience with the Peer Learning Network, a second network was created in 2003, the Peer Exchange Network. The Peer Exchange Network’s membership is comprised of a synergetic blend of highly successful regional businesses and public/community organizations.
Some of our favorite speakers over the 20 year history include the following:
- Steven Covey (The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People)
- Joel Barker (Paradigms: The Business of Discovering the Future)
- Patrick Lencioni (Five Dysfunctions of a Team)
- Harold Kushner (When Bad Things Happen to Good People)
- Rick Pitino, then coach of the Boston Celtics
- Former Vice President Al Gore
- Herb Kelleher, CEO of Southwest Airlines
- Ram Charan, internationally known business advisor and author
- Jack Welch, then Chairman and CEO of General Electric
- Judy Woodruff, NewsHour
- Daniel Pink (A Whole New Mind)
- Noel Tichy (The Cycle of Leadership)
- Macolm Gladwell (David and Goliath)