TN HIMSS/Belmont University HIT Accelerator Program
TN HIMSS and Belmont University have joined hands to create the Health Information Technology (HIT) Workforce Accelerator program. The accelerator provides a new curriculum that will propel students toward joining the HIT workforce to support the rapid growth of the industry in Middle Tennessee.
The program is the outcome of a collaborative engagement between TN HIMSS, Belmont University, Nashville HealthCare Council, and the Nashville Technology Council.
Objectives for the HIT Workforce Accelerator program include:
- Preparing workforce-ready healthcare IT analysts
- Equipping sufficient numbers of graduates to meet the demand for emerging positions
- Training in actual healthcare workplace requirements including real processes, challenges, environments, and vendor solutions
- Utilizing environments from a variety of sources including: industry professionals, HIMSS member companies, area experts, and Belmont faculty
- Functional expertise
- Appropriate level of testing to ensure learners have demonstrated competency before being certified “workforce ready”
- Achieving balanced competencies, such as:
- Specialized knowledge about healthcare IT systems
- Specialized knowledge about transferable vendor solutions
- Specialized knowledge about healthcare processes and environments
- Specialized skills in leading and contributing towards IT implementation projects
- Professional, interpersonal and team-based collaboration skills